"Justice and the Inner Life" Podcast Episode with Jim Martin

One of my favorite and most uplifting podcasts that I listen to is "Justice and the Inner Life" with Jedd Medefind, the president of CAFO (Christian Alliance for Orphans). Jedd has the most soothing, kind voice, and every episode of the podcast that I've listened to has been a balm for my soul, a special breath of fresh air infusing my spirit with even more life.

Episode 17 (aired on January 24) is an interview with Jim Martin, the vice president for spiritual formation at IJM (International Justice Mission).

IJM is a famous Christian organization that fights human trafficking and modern-day slavery around the world, but first and foremost, they call themselves a group of spiritual formation. They have thirty minutes of silence when they first arrive at work so they can focus on what God is revealing in their hearts, and every day at 11 a.m. they gather for fifteen minutes of corporate prayer. Once a quarter they have a spiritual retreat day together, and once a year they encourage each staffer to take a day off work to have a personal spiritual retreat.

They say this is absolutely necessary for the work they do: the spiritual foundation God is building in them keeps them going even when they are dealing with horrible atrocities and dangerous locales on a daily basis. They couldn't survive without these disciplines.

And so I am thinking about the prayer walking we do and the work of justice here in Kanazawa, in Tokyo (my friends at Not for Sale Japan who also prayer walk), and around the world. How can I personally recharge in the Spirit? How can I encourage my friends in this walk and work?

I'm going to close my eyes now and ask Father to lead me in this. What will this spiritual foundation look like? What kind of spiritual disciplines can I lean into? What saints around me can I look to for mentoring? How can I be a mentor? How can I relax into Father's love more and more?

What will this look like for Kanazawa? How can I share the love and freedom that I'm learning more about?

Comments